Sunday, February 12, 2012

Reflection for the second day of Week Without Walls

Today was very tiring although it was satisfactory. We did a lot of work in the schools although a lot of work is left for tomorrow as well. Firstly we were warmly welcomed by the children of the schools. We were given flowers by each child. Then we started interacting with the kids. It was a lot of fun when we were playing with the kids. I helped in order to organize the event of the student to children interaction. After this we started working. Firstly I started helping with painting inside the schools. We had to be were careful no to drop paint here and there. We needed to finish it fast and perfectly. In my group of painting we were divided into 2 groups. One was the group with the rollers and the other were people who did the edging. I was in the group with roller. I have to finish 7 small walls and 2 huge walls with blue paint. It took me a total of 2 hours to finish.

After I finished with painting the interiors I could have taken rest but I started to remember my goals which was to be collaborative and help my peers whenever they need help. So I went outside and then I started helping with landscaping. I was assigned to remove the small stones from the ground. In the hot sun I was working with my full potential. It took me 2 and half hours along with my landscaping group in order to remove all the small stones from the ground in order to make it a better place for the children to play. Then I took my lunch. Thinking back as I was eating my lunch I thought that it could be good if we put some sand from the beaches nearby on the the play-ground so that the children don't get hurt from the stones which are beneath it. I went to Mr. Synder with this idea and he said that he would think about it and consult with the other teachers.

After I finished my lunch I started helping Mr. Synder in order make a see saw from the tires which were lying nearby. In this process I climbed a tree and put a rope around a big branch of the tree. I enjoyed my time on the tree. It gave me a better look of the area which was around. I decided to climb higher on the tree although taking a short period of time for this as I did not have any time for wastage, went I went to the top of the 20 meters high tree there was such a beautiful scenery around. It made me realize the rich heritage of the natural surrounding of Sri Lanka. After spending some time on the tree I came back down. After I came down it was time for us to pack up and leave back for the hotel. I then started helping with the packing up of the stuff that we brought in for work. I carried a lot of heavy items to the van. After we packed up we left back for the hotel.

At the hotel then me and my friends playing cricket for fun. It was a part of our CAS program as I was engaged in action. It was fun to play in the natural surrounding and we had a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment